eremuak is an open program for the production of context in contemporary art. The main purpose of eremuak is to offer a platform for artists and creators, to promote a climate of debate and encourage meetings, as well as to provide a workplace that functions as an observatory of contemporary art.
eremuak carries out actions that help to encourage, optimize and/or improve the contexts in which the contemporary art debate takes place in the Basque Country.
Since it was set up in 2010, eremuak has sought to socialise contemporary art and other artistic and discursive practices with an emphasis on the necessary correlation between production and dissemination. In this way, eremuak is an open, continuous event that includes the production of creation, interpretation and mediation proposals.
Likewise, one of the main aims of eremuak is to help generate an atmosphere of debate and understanding of public policies for art and other priority subjects for contemporary practices in the world of culture, through the organisation of conferences, seminars and commissions. eremuak mainly targets the public sphere and aims to foster a participative, public policy.
eremuak is a space for the production of contemporary art set up by the Culture Department of the Basque Government.
The host organisation for the eremuak programme has been the Tabakalera International Centre for Contemporary Culture in Donostia since 2020. Previously it was from 2016 to 2019 Azkuna Zentroa, in Bilbao, after five years of development through Artium, in Gasteiz.
eremuak is articulated by a rotating Technical Commission, made up of artists and independent agents from the sector. The Commission is the central decision-making body of eremuak; is responsible of designing the program, directing and carrying out its actions.
- Feb 2020, José Ramón Amondarain. Artist.
- Mar 2019, Aimar Arriola. Curator, editor and researcher.
- May 2018, Maider López. Artist.
- Apr 2017 – Mar 2020: Iñaki Imaz. Artist and teacher.
- Jan 2016 – Apr 2019: Leire Vergara. Independent curator and member of Bulegoa z/b.
- Dec 2014 – Jun 2018: Pello Irazu. Artist.
- Sep 2013 – Jun 2017: Itziar Okariz. Artist.
- Jan 2012 – Dec 2015: Peio Aguirre. Art critic and independent curator.
- Nov 2010 – Dec 2014: Beatriz Herráez. Art historian and curator.
- Nov 2010 – Jul 2013: Nuria Enguita Mayo. Art historian and curator.
- Nov 2010 – Jul 2013: Illana Fernando. Artist and Trayecto gallery’s programming director. Vitoria-Gasteiz.
- Nov 2010 – Dec 2012: Pedro G. Romero. Artist.
- Nov 2010 – Jan 2012: Daniel Castillejo. Director Basque Museum-Centre of Contemporary Art. Artium.
- Nov 2010 – Jan 2012: Juan Luis Moraza. Artist.
Coordination-management of eremuak:
Lydia Lomas Gancedo
Ane Martínez Recio
- Press conference to present the programme for 3 May 2016.
- Press conference to present the programme in Tabakalera for 13 October 2020.
- Interview broadcast on 10 May 2016 in the programme Talaipe on Bizkaia Irratia. In this interview, Pello Irazu, a member of the eremuak programme committee, tells us about the objectives of eremuak and about the activities that are currently taking place; for example, the exhibitions within the new programme of contemporary art, HARRIAK, aimed at enabling new spaces for artistic mediation, exhibition and dissemination.